Saturday 13 January 2018

#SoCS & #Jusjojan - 13/1/18

  
Your prompt for #JusJoJan and Stream of Consciousness Saturday is as follows: read closely. When you’re ready to sit down and write your post, look to the publication (book, newspaper, permission slip from your kid’s teacher, whatever you find) closest to you, and base your post on the sixth, seventh, and eighth word from the beginning of the page. Enjoy!

If you want to find out more about these then go here to Linda's site. 

Well the nearest publication to me as I write this at my kitchen table was last Saturday's newspaper, in particular the section with the crossword.  Therefore the relevant words from the 1 across clue are: cottage pink/carnation.

I like these flowers although I only put a couple of plants into the garden this year and I'm not sure they have survived.  Time will tell.  For anyone wondering it's a general knowledge crossword which we attempt on Saturdays - the only day we buy a newspaper.  I say attempt because it's rare that we finish it, certainly not without the help from Google/Dictionary or other sources of information.  Hubby gets a bit funny about looking things up but my view is that once I've exhausted my existing knowledge, looking stuff up and learning new things is not cheating.  It's widening my store of trivia.

We also do the Pub Quiz in the paper.  Rather competitively.  We have different ways of doing it.  I like to go through all the questions (20) and then check my answers.  Hubby likes to check his answers as he goes along and insists that he does not look at the answer to the next question when doing so.  Hmm I'm not always convinced.  We often debate whether we should get half marks for questions we might have partly got but often neither of us wants to give an inch so whole scores are more the norm.  I often do better than hubby but that's probably partly due to having a better memory (undisputed fact) but also because I watch a lot of quiz shows on TV.  Interestingly some questions come up on more than one of the different shows in a small window of time.  They obviously must share the same quiz setters.  Basically I'm just terrified of developing Alzheimer's like my Mother so anything that keeps my brain ticking (including blogging) is welcome!

4 comments:

  1. We never buy a newspaper. I read them online in my bed before I get up, that's new. Can't get out of my bed in the morning. Mr. G. watches all news in different languages, to check if all the channels tell the same stories, lol ! It's not always the same !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you share the puzzles together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have fun with these, I can tell!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, we have to keep our minds active! I used to get the Saturday paper just for the Sudoku. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.